(Adds company news, futures)
July 11 (Reuters) – Britain’s FTSE 100 index is seen opening 2
points higher on Tuesday, according to financial bookmakers, with futures
up 0.14 percent ahead of the cash market open.
* PAGEGROUP: British recruitment firm PageGroup said full-year
profit is set to rise 13 percent as growth in international markets over the
second quarter offsets a weaker UK market following Britain’s vote to leave the
* GOCOMPARE.COM: Price comparison website operator Gocompare.Com Group Plc
said it expected to report a jump in adjusted operating profit for the
first half, as it remained confident about the outlook for the full year.
* MARKS & SPENCER: Britain’s Marks & Spencer reported another fall
in underlying clothing sales in its latest quarter, though the decline was
slightly less than analysts’ expected and full-price sales continued to grow.
* PEARSON: Britain’s Pearson has agreed to sell a 22 percent stake
in the book publisher Penguin Random House to joint venture partner Bertelsmann
BTGGg.F for around $1 billion to bolster its balance sheet and return cash to
* ANTOFAGASTA: Workers at the Zaldivar copper mine in Chile, owned by
Antofagasta and Barrick Gold Corp, voted to approve a strike
on Monday after talks with the company failed, a union leader told
* WAITROSE/SAINSBURY’S: British supermarket Waitrose said it is extending
its commitment to using the Fairtrade logo on its teas, days after rival
Sainsbury’s faced criticism from shareholders for piloting a different
* BRITAIN-EU/BANKS: Optimism about the business environment among Britain’s
financial services firms declined in the second quarter of this year, according
to a survey published on Tuesday..
* OIL: Oil prices edged up early on Tuesday, lifted in part by a strong
demand outlook for the coming weeks, but overall market conditions remain weak
on the back of ample supplies and a more subdued outlook for long-term
* GOLD: Gold edged lower early Tuesday on a firmer dollar after touching
near four-month lows in the previous session as the market waits for cues from
the central bank on the path of U.S. interest rate hikes.
* COPPER: Copper held largely steady in Asia on Tuesday amid modest support
from investors after losing ground overnight on fresh signs of
* The UK blue chip index closed up 0.3 percent at 7,370.03 points on Monday,
as a rise among financials and commodities stocks lent support, though a plunge
in Carillion’s shares after a profit warning weighed on mid-caps.
* For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on: cpurl://apps.cp./cms/?pageId=livemarkets
TODAY’S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for:
* 3000 Xtra : visit http://topnews.session.rservices.com
* For Top News :
(Reporting by Harish Bhaskar)