Ron Howard Will Direct the Han Solo ‘Star Wars’ Movie

Ron Howard

Earlier this week it was announced that directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller (The Lego Movie) have left the Han Solo Star Wars movie due out next May, and now we have leaned of their official replacement via StarWars.com: Ron Howard.

Need to catch up on what all went down with Star Wars? Keep reading.

So what happened?

“It’s become clear that we had different creative visions on this film, and we’ve decided to part ways,” says Kathleen Kennedy, Lucasfilm president, when she announced that Lord and Miller will no longer be directing the film.

For their part, Lord and Miller said: “Unfortunately, our vision and process weren’t aligned with our partners on this project. We normally aren’t fans of the phrase ‘creative differences’ but for once this cliché is true. We are really proud of the amazing and world-class work of our cast and crew.”

Wait, isn’t the movie already in production?

Yup. The movie began production in February. We can surmise that a big portion of the movie has already been shot and screened for Lucasfilm. Rumors have already begun swirling about the specifics of the “creative differences” and why they became insurmountable for the directors to resolve with Lucasfilm.

Are reshoots a bad thing?

No, not at all. All big movies schedule reshoots.

As we’ve learned in recent years with both Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, reshoots are usually built into the schedule for big-budget productions to allow for tweaks and other minor changes.

Who’s stepping in

Ron Howard (Inferno, above) has been chosen to take over. Here’s the official statement from Lucasfilm:

“At Lucasfilm, we believe the highest goal of each film is to delight, carrying forward the spirit of the saga that George Lucas began forty years ago,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “With that in mind, we’re thrilled to announce that Ron Howard will step in to direct the untitled Han Solo film. We have a wonderful script, an incredible cast and crew, and the absolute commitment to make a great movie. Filming will resume the 10th of July.”

Has this happened before?

Sure! It’s not usual, by any means, but directors sometimes depart projects before production is completed. For example, director Richard Donner completed Superman back in 1978 and had completed most of the filming planned for Superman II before he departed the sequel.

More recently, Tony Gilroy was brought on board Rogue One: A Star Wars Story to help oversee reshoots, which were quite extensive. Gareth Edwards, however, retained credit as director. That seems to have turned out pretty well for the movie.

Han Solo Movie

Will this affect the cast?

Nope! We can still look forward to seeing Alden Ehrenreich (Han Solo), Donald Glover (Lando Calrissian), Emilia Clarke, Woody Harrelson, Thandie Newton and Phoebe Waller-Bridge, with Joonas Suotamo as Chewbacca

What’s the story again?

The official synopsis says: “The movie will explore the duo’s adventures before the events of Star Wars: A New Hope, including their early encounters with that other card-playing rogue from a galaxy far, far away, Lando Calrissian.”

Will the release date change?

Not as of yet. The movie will resume production on July 10 and is still scheduled for theatrical release on May 25, 2018.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.